This post is in place of my usual Writerly Post Wednesday.
Today I’ve chosen my main character from the novel I am currently working on: The Empire of Stars. It’s a YA High Fantasy which I am very enthusiastic about; High Fantasy is my favourite genre of all time.
1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it? Her name is Evony Ironstarr — giving your child a middle name is not common in her world, all that is needed is a first name (often named after an ancestor) and a last name (the family’s name). There’s no real story behind her name, though her name means dragonfire in her ancient language.
2) How old are they, and when were they born? She is eighteen years old, but she does not know her exact birth date.
3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!) Raven black hair, pale skin, green eyes. Because she spent the last three years in the Cages, she’s now gaunt and underfed, nothing like her old self.
4) Describe your character’s personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences. Untrusting. She’s been betrayed by her family so many times she’s lost in a world where she doesn’t know who she had trust any more. Also, she holds grudges for a long, long time. She does not forget.
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc? Once Upon a Dream by Lana Del Rey. Every time I hear this song, I can’t help but think of Evony.
6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character? Wrath. In short: don’t screw with Evony.
7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be? Fire.
8) What is their favourite word? Justice.
9) Who’s one person they really miss? More than anyone — she misses her mother. Essentially, she died for Evony, so she can’t help but feel responsible about it.
10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person? The stars. Her mother taught Evony how to read them, their names, and their history. So every time she looks at the night sky, she thinks of her mother.