Earlier this year, I outlined what I hoped I would achieve within the coming year. This is the half yearly check in, where I cross of things I’ve done, and add things I hope to complete. Here’s why, for the second year in a row, I’ve decided to revise my goals: because things always change. Story ideas fall through and fizzle into nothing, and more ideas come, taking their place. So here’s what I’ve already achieved this year, what I haven’t, and what I hope to achieve by the end of the year.
1. Edit The Sweetest Sorrows of Ava Hale for what feels like the gazilionth time . Done! Received feedback from Sourcebooks, and it still needs more work, but hey, it’ll get there!
2. Write this Science Fiction idea that has been bouncing around my head for some time now. I never got around to this. Honestly — I don’t think that I ever will, either. Strange, huh, that I was so excited about this idea . . . but I started writing it, and the words just wouldn’t come. The characters, the story . . . nothing was clicking with me. So I stopped after only writing the first chapter. Ordinarily I would push on with a first draft, but at the end of the day, the story was not working. And I was not going to push that. So I stopped. Will I ever continue writing it? Maybe, maybe not. I can’t tell. I think my problem was that I hadn’t fully fleshed out the idea before I started writing it.
3. Edit/rewrite the last WIP I wrote. Yep. I just finished this the other day! Second draft of City of Illusions is done and dusted — for now!
4. Compete in and win NaNoWriMo for the third year in a row. It’s only June, so I haven’t done this yet (obviously).
Those were my goals which I set out at the beginning of the year. Here are some revised goals which I will hopefully finish by the end of 2014.
1. Participate/win Camp NaNoWriMo July. I will definitely be competing in Camp NaNoWriMo. (PS. I am Kara_writes if anyone wants to add me to their cabin!) And I am so excited about the novel I plan on writing. High fantasy with some steampunk-ish elements.
2. Edit first draft of The Empire of Stars. Actually, I’ve just started doing this.
3. Compete in and win NaNoWriMo for the third year in a row. I CAN TOTALLY DO THIS. AND I WILL. (Luckily my last HSC exam is on the 2nd of November, meaning I’l have plenty of time to participate.)
I’m keeping my goals simpler this time around. Only three, but I hope I can accomplish them all.