Today I am posing two questions for you: How often do you blog? And how often should you blog?
I started off blogging terribly inconsistently — perhaps once, twice a month if I was lucky — before I started, without, fail, blogging every. Single. Day. And that was hard. Impossible, almost. I found myself scheduling crazy amounts of posts to keep up with my goal of blogging every single day… and then I realized I didn’t need to post every day.
If you want to, then sure — go for it! But it’s not necessary.
- Readers understand if you can’t post every day. People have lives. School, work, leisure time.
- Blogging is hard work, but also fun. And I think it’s important to find a balance between those two things. And blogging every single day doesn’t guarantee you readers, either — it’s not how OFTEN you post, it’s WHAT you post. A lot of my interest in blogging every day was to gain new readers. But what’s the point if it becomes all too much?
- Buuuuuut, wait a second, on the other end of the scale, that doesn’t mean you should be blogging to infrequently, yes? No. That’ll draw people away from your blog.
Ideally you should post often enough to keep readers interested, but infrequently enough to make them WANT MORE.
This is why I’ve chosen for, roughly, three times a week. I’m not being strict with this though. Not at all. If I don’t think of content good enough to blog about or am too busy, or whatever the reason, really, then there’s no use in forcing a blog post. In saying that — here is a list of tips that might inspire you to post more reguarly!
- Have a blog idea? Write it down! You would be shocked at the amount of ideas I’ve had at night, then forgotten them the next morning.
- Schedule posts! Then you can have them done before hand. And not worry about it.
- Post as often as suits your lifestyle. Some people will have more time on their hands, and might like to post more. But don’t beat yourself up if you are busy and can’t post.
- And ENJOY IT. Well, duh, Kara, you’re thinking. Still — it’s an important one.